The Bighorn Arms action is collaboration between Mark Chanlynn (Rocky Mountain Rifle Works) and AJ Goddard (Goddard Enterprises LLC). Many enthusiasts know of the Chanlynn cut rifled barrels. Mark has built accurate rifles for 40+ years. Over these years he has seen what works and what doesn’t. AJ Goddard has machined precision parts for the past 30+ years, including machining for the aerospace and high tech industries. For the past 15 years, AJ has owned a machine shop using the latest technology CNC equipment. AJ has never been happy with the quality or durability of the rifles he’s used and Mark has always wanted to incorporate the best of action features into one action. They combined their individual expertise and experience into the building of a top notch action.
- AJ has been machining since 1978.
- Since he began machining, he has worked for several aerospace companies, including Goodyear Aerospace and Ball Aerospace.
- Many of his machining projects for the aerospace industry are on satellites, including the Hubble Space Telescope.
- He started his own machine shop in 1991. His shop served the high tech businesses in the area, including the computer disc drive and medical industries.
- He uses the latest in CAD/CAM software and CNC equipment to produce close tolerance, high quality parts.
- A 1968 Honors Graduate of Trinidad State College-Trinidad, Colorado with a major in gunsmithing.
- Served an apprenticeship with Barrett “Boots” Obermeyer and holds certificates with the state of Wisconsin as a journeyman and master gunsmith.
- Life member of the NRA.
- A competitive NRA high power rifle shooter since 1968 in National Match Course, Long Range and Palma, with an NRA classification of High Master.
- Has worked as a gunsmith, custom rifle builder, and custom cut rifled barrel maker for 43 years.
- Has built rifles and barrels used in competition in local, state, regional, national, international and world championships.
- Has had rifles or barrels in both the summer and winter Olympic Games, Pan American Games, European Championships, World Championships, CISM, CISM World championships and Bench rest.